The WW, Inc., Writing Contest: The Long and the Short of It
by A.M. Hummel - Contest Chair
CONTEST DEADLINE: March 15, 2014
Got a masterpiece tucked away in a drawer? Is a brand new idea playing around in that grey matter between your ears? Enter the 2014 Wyoming Writers, Inc., Writing Contest!
In addition to the usual categories—children’s, adult short stories, nonfiction, traditional poetry, and free verse—we’re offering a chance to write it “Short and Sweet.” Tell us a short, short story in no more than 1500 words; write flash fiction at 500 words or fewer (genre is your choice, but keep it clean!); or entice our judges with limericks (rhymed quintets—again, keep them clean!). The length and style of this category fits well into our way-too-busy lives!
Categories, Entry Fees and Prizes:
1) Adult fiction—5000 words maximum—$20 for one member-submitted entry, $15 for one additional entry; $25 for one non-member entry, $20 for a second
2) Children’s/Juvenile Fiction—3000 words maximum—$15 for one member-submitted entry, $10 for one additional entry; $20 for one non-member entry, $15 for one additional entry.
3) Nonfiction—Personal experience and memoirs; journalism articles—3000 words maximum—$15 for one member-submitted entry, $10 for one additional entry; $20 for one non-member entry, $15 for one additional entry.
4) Traditional poetry—40 lines maximum (up to three poems per entry, one page per poem)—$10 for one poem, $3 each for up to two additional member-submitted poems; $15 for one non-member poem and $3 each for no more than two additional poems.
5) Free Verse—40 lines maximum (up to three poems per entry, one page per poem)—$10 for one poem, $3 each for up to two additional member-submitted poems; $15 for one non-member poem and $3 each for no more than two additional poems.
6) “Short and Sweet”—1500 words or fewer for a short, short story ($15 for one member-submitted story, $17.50 for a non-member submission); no more than 500 words for Flash Fiction ($10 for one member-submitted piece, $5 each for up to two additional entries; $15 for one non-member piece, $7.50 each for up to two additional entries), with the same entry fees and limits for standard rhymed quintet/Limericks.
Those who place first, second, and third in each category win a cash prize—$50 for 1st; $30 for 2nd; and $20 for 3rd. All winners will receive certificates noting placement and possible publication in The Wyo-Writer and/or on the WW, Inc., website. Honorable mentions, should they be awarded, will receive certificates. Winning authors and those receiving honorable mentions will be notified in time to take advance of the Early Bird registration fees for the 2014 conference. Should any category receive fewer than five (5) entries, that genre will not be judged and no prizes will be awarded for the year in that category.
Each entry must be accompanied by a typed cover sheet, on 8 ½” X 11” white paper, with the following information:
1) Category entered
2) Title of work
3) Number of lines for poetry; word count for fiction and nonfiction
4) Author’s name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address
Use standard manuscript format: one-inch margins around, with only title and page number included in the header/footer. Author’s name must not appear anywhere on submitted copies of the manuscripts. Begin title and double-spaced copy for short, short fiction, flash fiction, short stories, or articles halfway down the page, preferably using 12-point, Times New Roman or Courier font (no fancy fonts or colors, only standard white typing paper, please!). Secure pages with paper clips, do not use staples. Do not use any kind of folder or binder. Poems may be single-spaced and each should be kept to one page. Do not exceed the 40-line maximum for each poem.
Submit two copies of each typed entry and keep copies of all you submit; entries will not be returned. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for acknowledgement of receipt, listing the names of submissions for this contest. All entries must be previously unpublished, not submitted or under contract elsewhere at the time of submission, and original to the author submitting the work. Do follow these guidelines or your work will be deemed ineligible. Deadline and Submission Information Entries must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2014
and mailed with appropriate entry fees (make checks to Wyoming Writers, Inc., note “contest entry fee”) to: Katie Smith, WW, Inc., Writing Contest, 13287 Hwy 59 North, Gillette, WY 82716.