2018 WYOMING WRITERS INC. WRITING CONTEST GUIDELINES
Eligibility: All writers at any level. Fee per entry: $15. Deadline March 15, 2018
- Adult Fiction (3000 word limit; short fiction, novel segments, scripts with treatments; maximum of 3 entries; one fee per 3000 word entry.)
- Flash Fiction: (800 word limit; maximum 3 stories per entry; maximum of three entries; one fee per entry.)
- Fiction for Children and Young Adults (3000 word limit; maximum 3 entries; one fee per 3000 word entry.)
- Non-fiction (memoir, opinion/essay, creative non-fiction, historical monograph; 3000 word limit; maximum 3 entries; one fee per 3000 word entry.)
- (One poetry “entry” may consist of a maximum of 5 distinct poems, 1 poem per page; 40 lines maximum per poem. One fee per entry in either category; one entry per category.)
- Traditional poetry (i. e., formal, regular meter, rhymed, etc.)
- Free verse
- Do not comingle what you may consider “traditional” or “free verse” in your entries.
Fees: $15 per entry. Non-members welcome! Add $20 to any entry fee for an introductory one year membership to Wyoming Writers Inc.
WYOMING RESIDENCE IS NOT REQUIRED FOR MEMBERSHIP IN WYOMING WRITERS INC.
- First Place (all categories) $50
- Second Place (all categories) $30
- Third Place (all categories) $20
- Wyoming Writers Inc. retains the right not to award all prizes.
- The number of Honorable mentions, if any, are at the judges’ discretion.
- Winners certificates and prize money will be awarded at the Wyoming Writers Inc. Annual Conference on June 1,2,3, Winners unable to attend will be mailed award payments and certificates following the Conference.
- Winners will receive a citation (Author, title, category) in WYO-Writer Newsletter and on the Wyoming Writers Inc. website. Winners may be asked to submit an optional excerpt, bio, or other material for publication.
- Original, unpublished work, author’s sole and exclusive property.
- Submission to our contest must not violate any copyright, trademark, privacy or publication right.
- No simultaneous submissions with other contests.
- Entrant retains all rights except for award announcements.
- Submit work on 8.5 X 11 inch white paper. No hand written entries.
- Use standard (e.g. Arial, Courier, Times New Roman) 12 point font, double spaced.
- For fiction and non-fiction begin title and text half-way down the first page.
- One inch margin minimum.
- Poetry: one poem, one page; may use various spacing.
- No fancy fonts; no colors.
- Rules and restrictions:
- Submission of work to contest confers permission to Wyoming Writers Inc. to publish winning title and author’s name in website and newsletter.
- Contestants may submit in multiple categories.
- All checks/ money orders payable in U. S. currency to Wyoming Writers Inc.
No refunds for disqualified, late, or withdrawn entries.
- How to Enter:
- Submit a single copy of each entry; do not staple; use only paper clips if necessary.
- Place title and page number in the header on each manuscript page.
- Author’s name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript to be judged.
- Author’s name, address, phone number, and email address must appear on each entry’s cover sheet along with category, work’s title, word count. Cover sheet for poetry may contain up to 5 titles.
- Attach check made payable to “Wyoming Writers Inc.”
- Mail entries to: Wyoming Writers Inc.—2018 Contest, c/o Tom Spence, Box 98, Buffalo, WY 82834.
- No entries will be returned.
- Judges will receive materials without identifying information.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
- Notification and Public Announcement:
- Winners only will be notified by email or telephone.
- Winners may be asked for biographical material to accompany announcement of awards.
- Winners will be announced at the annual Wyoming Writers Inc. conference on June 1,2,3, 2018 in Dubois, Wyoming.
- First place winning authors will have an opportunity to read a 300 word excerpt, or a first place poem, during the Conference.
- All submissions must be postmarked by March 15, 2018. Winners will be notified by early May, 2018.
Any questions, please contact the contest chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.